Wednesday, 2 March 2011

Big news

Sorry I've been such a bad blogger recently - I promise I'll catch up on all your blogs soon.

This last month has been a fairly difficult one in many ways - coming to terms with yet another disappointment, the new baby obsession in the family with another new niece coming along, the sudden realisation that even if we hadn't decided to give up on our own eggs and sperm after this month, we have other commitments in the next two months which mean we probably wouldn't have been able to try again anyway before June... I've also been very busy with work, but now have a quieter period coming up which will hopefully allow me to concentrate on other things.

Anyway, today is CD1 - two days early again, just to keep me on my toes, so tomorrow I'll be heading into XXXX Clinic for what will almost certainly be my final CD1-3 blood test for treatment with our own eggs and sperm.

And a couple of weeks after my first call to her, the person I spoke to at the new clinic has just called me back and said they have a couple of embryos available for us! The physical characteristics of the donors are broadly similar to ours, and if we say yes it should all happen pretty quickly.

The embryos have also been offered to another couple, and basically the first couple to accept them will get them. I need to find out what DH's work schedule is over the next couple of months, and how easy it's going to be for him to get time off - he's just been put onto a new project at work which could change things a bit, and the new clinic is 200 miles away, so he would definitely need time off for appointments. We would need to see the consultant there and also have compulsory counselling at the clinic before going ahead with the procedure.

The co-ordinator is out of the office until Monday, by which time we'll have the results of my blood tests at XXXX Clinic and will know whether we're going to go ahead there.

I'm almost tempted to say we should just forget about the appointment at XXXX Clinic and go straight ahead with the donor treatment - these will be embryos from a batch that has already successfully produced at least one living child, and we all know my track history of IVF failure.

But one way or another, by this time next week we could be one step closer to becoming parents!


  1. wow very exciting stuff. Good luck over the next few days in what ever way you decide to move forward.

  2. How exciting! I will be praying extra hard for you both that you get your answer and that your path to your baby becomes clear in the coming days. I am so happy for you and can't wait to hear what comes next. *hugs*

  3. I've been thinking about you recently, wondering how things were going. Sounds like a pretty good place to be in really - can't wait to hear more.

    Hoping for good things and a clear path!

  4. Oh my gosh Hope Springs, I had tears in my eyes reading about the possible embryo donation. What an amazing opporunity to consider. Hope the answer comes to you both and you can feel happy moving forward with whatever option you choose.
    PS - great news that your work is busy too! x

  5. I keep checking back to see if there is any more news yet!!! Hope things are clearer and the answer is with you soon c

  6. I just wanted to say you've been on my mind an awful lot lately. I am anxious to hear your news but also don't want to bother you ... update when you can. Praying hard!

  7. I agree with Sonja! Hope all is well adn looking forward to hearing an update when you can!

  8. Hey Hope Springs

    Hope you are OK. Been thinking of you so thought I'd pop in to say hi.