Thursday, 17 June 2010

I'm back!

After our weekend away, we went off on holiday with US bro and his family and my parents. The place we stayed at claimed to have internet access, but at £7 per hour it was access I wasn't prepared to use!

We went to the seaside, and it was the coldest seaside holiday we've ever had, with fog to boot on the first day. Other than the weather, though, it was a good break, and lovely to get to know my nephews and nieces again after spending very little time with them on their last two visits (for my wedding and UK bro's wedding).

The legal process for the redundancies has been grinding on, and the holiday gave me time to think about what I want to do. My department is being reduced in size and we have to reapply for the jobs that are remaining. I discussed it with DH and with my parents and SIL, and it all boiled down to 'what would I regret more?'.

The answer then became fairly clear - if I carried on working and then failed to get pregnant, I'd always wonder whether leaving that job and taking a bit of time off to relax and destress might have helped. If I left this job and didn't get pregnant, I could always find another job, and if it's not as well paid as this one - well, we don't actually need as much as I earn at the moment.

So when they phoned me on Monday to give me the formal notification that the consultation has finished and I'm 'at risk of redundancy', I told them I wouldn't be applying for one of the new jobs. Yesterday was my first day back in the office, and I had a meeting at which I confirmed that and was told what my package will be. It's an amount that if I'm careful, I should be able to live on for about a year - though to put it in perspective, it's also about the amount that we will have spent on IVF by the time we've finished IVF #3.

Although I'm redundant, I'm still needed for the moment, so my agreed finishing date is in early August. I'm in the happy position of having to beat off unwanted job offers at the moment, but I'm trying not to burn any bridges, and to say 'not right now' rather than a straight 'no'.

So the stress is reduced, and I'm hoping the way is clear for IVF #3 to start next week. I also have some other news which I consider rather exciting, but I'll keep you in suspense for that until tomorrow - I'm off to catch up on everyone else's blogs now...


  1. Good for you, taking matters into your own hands! I hope there's a lot of not-right-now jobs in your path :)

  2. You're back! We missed you!
    Erm, you can't keep us waiting like that though - what is the exciting news?!! Glad you've had a good break. Coco xx

  3. I've missed you!! So glad you're back! Cannot believe you tortured us with hints of exciting news though -- not fair. =)

    Your vacation sounded really nice and I am so impressed that you just took control of your job future so confidently. I am STILL having intense anxiety trying to work out my own job future. Sigh. I should take a hint from you ...

    Welcome back!

  4. Sounds like a nice vacation, despite the weather!
    Good luck on the job side. Hope the relaxing helps!

  5. lovely to 'see' you back! Sounds like lots of good times were had adn so glad the job situation is resolved by you rathert han anyone else!

    Look forward to hearing the other news!

  6. Fantastic that so much of the stress has lifted. That you feel so good about your decision speaks volumes about how right that decision truly was! You have decades to work if need be, but there is no better time than now for baby-making!

    And the relaxed state certainly can't hurt with the next round of treatment. Here's hoping you get the go ahead in this next cycle!