Sunday 20 September 2009

In it to win it

The strapline for the UK's National Lottery is "You've got to be in it to win it". Well, in this month's fertility lottery (and the odds of success are, of course, equally low for us - if not lower), it looks as though I'm definitely not in it - my temperature went up today, indicating that I may have ovulated a couple of days early, and there was absolutely nothing there to meet the egg.

Yesterday we went round to see DH's parents. They wanted a new television, so we picked one up on the way over there, along with a new (flat-packed) television cabinet. When we arrived, I got out the screwdriver set which I had taken with me and put the television cabinet together. I then got the television out of its box, attached the Sky box and video, set it all up and showed his parents how it worked. On the way home, we got a flat tyre (on a single-track country lane in the middle of nowhere, in the dark). I sent DH to set up our warning triangle, then he held the torch while I changed the tyre.

It's something that has come up a few times - we both lived alone for several years before we met. I have found that a woman who lives alone is expected to know how to do pretty much everything, while a man who lives alone gets looked after. Consequently, I'm fairly well able (though not always willing) to turn my hand to most things around the house, while DH doesn't really know where to start.

Last night I was left wondering if standing by while I did all those jobs yesterday made him feel a bit emasculated - especially as when we went to bed, I was feeling a bit amorous and he actually used the line, "I've got a bit of a headache - can we just lie here and have a cuddle?"

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's awesome that you changed the tire yourself. I feel like I know in theory how to do it, but I worry if I was stranded I'd get panicked and not be able to figure it out.

    I hope you didn't miss ovulation. I don't know what your cycle is like, but mine would often have random temperature spikes pre-ovulation and settle back down, so maybe there's still a chance?

    Thanks for your kind words on my blog during this whole egg retrieval business. I can't believe it's over and that, quite likely, John and I are parents to at least a couple embabies. I only hope we get the chance to meet them in person one day. I get the fertilization results tomorrow. I am looking forward to following your IVF cycle (should this natural one not pan out) and am praying hard for you that this waiting period flies by.

    ReplyDelete