Tuesday 17 November 2009

A couple of holiday snaps

This was quite possibly the most relaxing holiday I've ever had. We ate lots of delicious salads (and other stuff), took long walks to the beach (which was 45 minutes' stroll away), lounged by the pool, read lots of books and I did a lot of swimming and snorkelling. This picture shows why you would want to stick to designated beaches and not just jump into the water at any point along the coast - though it was much calmer when the wind died down a couple of days into our holiday.


This was the beach we went to. Lanzarote is a volcanic island, and all the beaches have quite a lot of volcanic rock around them, which is great for seeing lots of fish but not quite so great on the feet. This place, once we figured it out, was ideal for us - DH settled down with his book on the rocky side, which was nice and quiet, while I snorkelled and swam, then when we were ready to leave I swam across the cove to the sandy side and met him there.


Being November, the sun never got too high in the sky and it had disappeared behind the hotel building by about 5:00 in the afternoon, after which we went up to our room and ... ummm ... made our own entertainment until it was time to go down for supper.

This was the view from our hotel room balcony. The picture's a little bit of a con, as I zoomed in on the sea and carefully filtered out the fact that between us and what you can see here, there was a car park. Also, to the left of the shot was a building site and to the right was another hotel. The camera's not really lying, though - the sea was the bit that my eyes focused on too!


Other than dressing to go into the hotel restaurant each morning and evening, I lived in a swimming costume, only occasionally putting on a t-shirt. From about the fourth day, I didn't even bother with my shorts when walking to and from the beach - so I don't know how we've managed to come back with such a mountain of washing!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, simply beautiful! Glad you had a relaxing time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Lanzarote is beautiful! I am so jealous! =) It sounds like you had an amazing time. I am glad you got to snorkel a lot. I used to scuba dive and absolutely loved it. There's something so cool about seeing all the fish and coral underwater.

    ReplyDelete