Wednesday 9 December 2009

The accidental stalker

During my last two week wait, I went for coffee on the middle Sunday with a couple of people I'd met on a fertility forum. They're lovely people, we understood each other perfectly, and because we're all being treated at the same clinic, we were able to share our experiences of the clinic and its staff. At times we sounded like a meeting of the Nurse Perfect Official Fan Club, as the others share my high opinion of her.

When we parted to get in our cars and go home, all three of us were staggered to find that a little over three hours had passed while we chatted. It was only the second time I'd met one of them and the first time I'd met the other.

Well, the one I met for the first time that day has e-mailed me a few times since then. She was hugely supportive when I got my BFN, then she got a BFN a few days later and we propped each other up. Let's call her Forum Friend.

Yesterday I had an e-mail from Forum Friend, in which she said she understood that I might not have felt like answering any of her text messages, but she wanted me to know she was thinking of me and hoped everything was going OK.

I hadn't actually received any messages, and we eventually worked out that when she put my mobile number into her phone, she transposed two digits.

I find the idea of some random stranger receiving the messages that were meant for me rather funny. Just imagine some spotty teenager or self-important businessman going about his day, minding his own business, and suddenly his phone beeps with a message saying, "Thinking of you today. Good luck with your egg collection."

Hours later, his phone beeps again, "Hope all went well. How many eggs did you get?"

Later still, another beep (after Forum Friend had got my e-mail update): "Yay! Four eggs! That's fantastic!!"

The recipient must have thought they were being pursued by a stalker with a chicken fetish!

3 comments:

  1. hahaha this post cracks me up! I can totally imagine a teenage boy getting this and just being like, what the heck, quit texting me weird stuff!

    Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...too funny! It does get pretty comical when you think of the different kinds of people that could have gotten the text! Might have been even more funny had there ever text'd back! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats hilarious! And to a non IFer all the texts would have been undecipherable! It really would have seemed like they were being stalked by a crazy person! Thanks for the laugh. Needed it.

    ReplyDelete