Friday 9 October 2009

Suddenly...

... things are moving pretty quickly.

It's been a manic week at work, and yesterday I spent the day babysitting my nieces. The biggest side effect of these drugs (bigger even than the irritability - which I can confirm only seems to affect me around adults, as I was fine with a 1-year-old, nearly 3-year-old and 5-year-old yesterday) seems to be total exhaustion, so I've been dragging myself home and to bed as soon as possible in the evenings.

So, today is day 5 of the rhinoceros doses (450 IU) of Gonal-F, and I've just been for my first scan. I have a 10mm follicle on the left ovary and another 10mm and two 14mms on the right. Nurse Perfect is satisfied that this is enough to proceed, and reckons egg collection could be as early as next Wednesday. It seems a bit pathetic against the huge numbers that some people get, but at least we're assured that we won't have a problem with what to do about any spare embryos.

Nurse Perfect gave me a Cetrotide injection to prevent me ovulating too early and took an armful of blood, and I picked up my Ovitrelle for the trigger injection, then she went through the pre-op questions with me. I had to sign a form promising not to operate any dangerous machinery such as cookers (there were other specific items listed, but that was the one that caught my eye) for 24 hours after egg collection.

I also need someone to drive me home afterwards. Although various friends have offered, this is actually a little bit of an issue - DH can't drive, despite me asking, encouraging, cajoling and eventually begging him to learn in case of emergencies. I said all I wanted for my birthday was for him to learn to drive, and he promised he would. Five weeks after my birthday, he hasn't booked any lessons yet, or even looked into it - and probably never will unless I do all the legwork for him. I'm Very Not Happy about the situation, as I am the official chauffeur not only for him but also for his parents, and it puts a lot of strain on me at times.

And finally, I'm required to have a responsible adult to take care of me for 24 hours after the event. Does anybody know one of those...?

7 comments:

  1. I'll come!!! I would so love to be your responsible adult!

    As I'm so incredibly far away though, how about Charlotte, if she drives? Or Clare, of course?

    Kick DH hard in the proverbial and tell him to book driving lessons. Not only might it help him remember to do it, but he gets to share in the pain of aching body parts :D

    Well done on the follicles - excellent news. I've been thinking of you all day and wondering if you were there being scanned. Sterkte for the sore tummy, and thinking of you!!! XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck ! I remember this stage well and absically didnt move for 2 weeks because my mom and dh insisted I shouldnt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlotte and Anna have both offered, as have a couple of other people. I haven't asked Clare, as she would need to get a babysitter. I might even see if my mother can do it - a morning making polite conversation with my mother at the hospital might make him realise it would be better if he could drive! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Gemma. I don't think I'll get two weeks of relaxation, but 24 hours would be nice... x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, you're getting close to ER!! How exciting! I wish I could help you out, but I am too far away to do so. =(

    I am glad that you're responding to the meds, and I am sure having less follicles also means you have a way lower chance of getting OHSS like I did. Trust me, you don't want to ever get that! Also, the follicles sound like they're great sizes already ... mine took forever to get to 14mm. So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on the exhaustion, and I'm not anywhere near your dose, so I'm amazed that you are able to keep your eyes open!

    Definitely go to greater lengths to get DH driving. What will happen when you go into labor? Not a good time to be driving!

    As for the follies, better a handful of superstars than a zoo of underperformers. Easy for me to say, right? But really, you're doing wonderfully. I can't believe how close we're getting to ER. Just around the corner! Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Sonja. I'm so uncomfortable with just the four little follies, I can't imagine how you coped with 42! Apparently OHSS is incredibly rare in anyone with fewer than about 8, so I think fortunately I'm safe from that.

    Myndful, good luck to you too - let's hope we both get some good quality eggs out this.

    ReplyDelete